Skip to main content

International Travel and Study Abroad

Various University departments coordinate the management of risk associated with international travel. This webpage provides information to both faculty/staff traveling for employment purposes and students participating in University-sponsored credit bearing travel. If you will be traveling abroad, please complete the University-sponsored Travel Notification.

U.S. Department of State

The United States Department of State is a U.S. traveler’s primary resource for most aspects of foreign travel. Information on passports and visas, preparation for travel, and emergency information can be found on their travel website. The Department of State publishes travel advisories on countries that are hostile or dangerous for travelers. These warnings are issued when conditions in a country are dangerous or unstable and the State Department recommends that Americans should avoid or consider the risk of travel to that country.

Registering for the State Department’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program will allow travelers to receive travel update and information regarding their travel plans.

Health Insurance for Study Abroad and other International Travel

For the safety of its students, Illinois State University requires all students participating in a Study Abroad program through Office of International Studies & Programs (OISP) to maintain international health insurance coverage while abroad. Because most U.S. health insurance carriers do not adequately cover the range of issues facing students who study abroad, OISP automatically enrolls Study Abroad students in an international insurance plan for the duration of their program and the premium will be billed to their student account. Coverage will begin two days prior to the program start date and end two days after the official program end date. For Study Abroad students, it is not possible to waive this mandatory insurance.

International health insurance is also recommended for other travelers (Faculty, Staff, students) traveling internationally as part of University-sponsored programs. As detailed below, ACE is an international health insurance program that is available to the above-mentioned travelers; however, it is not required that Faculty, Staff and students not associated with Study Abroad purchase the insurance through ACE.

ACE insurance programs

Information on the ACE programs, including information on costs, coverages, and how to enroll, can be found at the Gallagher Student Health & Special Risk website.

Using ACE Abroad

If you require medical attention while abroad, contact ACE's 24 hour access number for a referral: (This information is also on your insurance card).

ACE at 1-855-327-1414 (Toll-Free) or 1-630-694-9764 (Direct Dial)

Many hospitals or medical centers may require payment at the time of service. If this occurs, you will be responsible for contacting ACE for reimbursement after you have made payment to the medical services provider. You must contact ACE directly for any claims for medical expenses. If you are hospitalized, please contact ACE at the above numbers so that they may contact the hospital on your behalf and try to arrange for direct payment.

ACE Travel Assistance Portal

Your ACE coverage includes, at no additional cost, a comprehensive online portal of tools and access to 24/7 medical, travel and technical support. Detailed instructions on how to create an account, login, and use the ACE Travel Assistance Portal, now called Travel Eye, are available on the Travel Intelligence Portal.

Travel Insured International

Opting Out of ISU Student Health Insurance

Students with the international health insurance coverage and other health insurance (which covers them when they are not abroad) may opt out of the ISU Student Health Insurance provided by ISU Student Health Services.

Before making a final decision, please review the international health insurance policy, the Illinois State Student Health Insurance policy, and your personal/family policy (if applicable) carefully. In addition, review your international travel dates to determine if you will require health insurance coverage prior to and upon your return, as you only receive ACE coverage during the dates you input with ACE for your travel. ISU Student Health insurance coverage dates are listed in the ISU Student Health Insurance policy brochure.

If you decide to cancel Illinois State Student Health Insurance, it is your responsibility to contact the Student Insurance Office and complete all necessary processes directly with that office.

*If you have opted out of ISU insurance for previous terms, you will need to opt out again. ISU insurance is automatically assessed to all students studying abroad regardless of your insurance preference previous semesters.